Disputes between business partners can have devastating financial and legal consequences. We help you to navigate this challenging time in a methodical and strategic manner.
Seeing eye-to-eye with your business partner on everything is a perhaps unrealistic expectation. Disagreements between business partners are not only common but should be viewed as an inevitable part of running a business with a co-owner.
When a disagreement threatens to spill over into a full blown dispute, there are a series of steps that ought to be taken to strategically navigate the situation. Failing to carefully navigate the dispute process can result in poor outcomes and regret. Conversely, a carefully developed and methodically executed strategy plan will likely result in a better outcome.
We assist with:
- leaving a business partnership;
- directors duties claims;
- shareholder oppression / minority oppression claims;
- forced buyouts;
- litigation and Court matters; and
- mediation and alternative dispute resolution.
Our usual approach is to:
- provide you with a clear and transparent quote;
- have an initial discussion about the situation, your desired outcome and other key factors which may impact our approach;
- provide advice regarding the legal boundaries for the dispute (including exploring what we can potentially use as leverage, and what may be used against you);
- collaborate with you to develop a strategy plan; and
- methodically execute the plan and adapting where necessary.
Our advice will not focus narrowly on money. We consider the broader context – including factoring in the amount of time invested, energy consumed and distraction caused by the dispute. That being said, if obtaining a certain amount of money is important to you, we will relentlessly pursue that for you.