Velocity Legal Pty Ltd ACN 614 742 246 (Velocity Legal) understands that privacy is important. We are committed to ensuring the privacy of your information and to complying with the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs), which are contained in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act). This policy does not cover our client confidentiality obligations (which are set out in our terms of engagement).
1. What Personal Information does Velocity Legal collect and hold?
The types of personal information that Velocity Legal collects will depend on the nature of your dealings with us. We may collect personal information from you during your dealings with us, including (without limitation) when you:
- are engaged with our firm as a client;
- we are working on a matter that you are involved in;
- are involved in a matter with one or more of our clients;
- have asked us to place you on one of our mailing lists;
- supply goods or services to us;
- send us an enquiry or provide us with feedback; and
- apply for a job with us.
Depending on the engagement with us, we will usually collect your personal details including your name, job title, address, contact details and information about our dealings with you. We endeavour to collect personal information directly from the individuals concerned. However, if this is not practicable, we may collect personal information about individuals from third parties, including from publicly available sources.
If you are a ‘business contact’ of Velocity Legal (e.g. a contact person working for one of our suppliers), we may collect basic business contact information from you (e.g. your name, title and work contact details) automatically using the details in your email signature.
Sensitive information is a subset of personal information that is generally afforded a higher level of privacy protection. Velocity Legal will not ask to collect sensitive information about you (such as details of your racial or ethnic origin, political affiliation, religious beliefs, sexual preferences, criminal convictions, or health information) unless it is reasonably required in the circumstances.
2. How does Velocity Legal use Personal Information?
We need to collect personal information reasonably necessary to carry out our business and to assess and manage our clients’ needs. We also collect personal information to communicate new legal or firm developments to our clients and to those people who have subscribed to our mailing lists.
If, at any time, you do not wish to receive these kinds of communications, please let us know using the contact details set out below.
3. Will Your Personal Information be given to anyone else?
Velocity Legal does not sell, rent or trade personal information about you to or with third parties. Personal information may be disclosed outside of Velocity Legal, including in the following circumstances:
- disclosures to external service providers – we may disclose personal information to external service providers who provide services to you and help us operate our business. Examples of our external service providers include:
- third party data storage providers;
- IT and other software and systems providers;
- companies who provide photocopying and archiving services;
- advertising and marketing agencies who assist us with our campaigns and programs, If we engage external service providers;
- disclosures overseas – where Velocity Legal engages external information technology service providers, we ensure that wherever possible, our data is stored within Australia; and
- disclosures required or permitted by law – otherwise, Velocity Legal will only disclose personal information if this is required by law or permitted under the Privacy Act. Velocity Legal is also bound by professional obligations of confidentiality, including in relation to personal information.
Security of Personal Information
Velocity Legal takes reasonable steps to ensure the security of your personal information
4. Online Privacy Issues
While we strive to protect the personal information and privacy of users of our websites, we cannot guarantee the security of any information that you disclose online, and you disclose that information at your own risk. If you are concerned about sending your information over the internet, you can contact us by email or post.
Sometimes our website contains links to other websites, for your convenience and information. When you access a website other than ‘www.velocitylegal.com.au’, please understand that Velocity Legal is not responsible for the privacy practices of that site. We suggest that you review the privacy policies of each site you visit.
5. Access and Correction
Under the Privacy Act, you have the right to:
- seek access to your personal information handled by Velocity Legal;
- ask us to update or correct your personal information when it is inaccurate, incomplete or out of date; and
- opt-out of receiving direct marketing communications from us.
Please contact us using the details below if you would like to access or correct the personal information that we hold about you. We may require you to verify your identity before processing any access or correction requests to ensure that the personal information we have is adequately protected.
6. Making a complaint
If you wish to make a complaint about how Velocity Legal handles your personal information, please contact us setting out your complaint in writing and forward it to us using the contact details below.
We will deal with all requests for access to personal information or complaints as quickly as possible and will endeavour to get back to you within a reasonable timeframe.
7. Additional Privacy Information and How to Contact Velocity Legal
Email: [email protected]
Post: Velocity Legal, PO Box 13255, Law Courts VIC 8010
8. Changes to this Policy
Version dated 25 March 2021.